Friday, April 8, 2011

Best time of the Day

Alot of people asked me this question - When is the best time of the day?
When I was younger, the best time for me would be morning cos I'd be heading to school, not because I'm looking forward for homework, but because I get to play with my friends.
Now that I'm older, maybe it's due to the bodyclock, maybe it's due to the tremendous stress I'm facing everyday.
But the best time of the day is that 7-8 hours which I spend asleep.


Believe it or not, I used to suffer from insomnia when I was younger.
I would be very afraid to fall asleep, and I'd feel very stress falling asleep.
It just came to me that I couldn't fall asleep naturally.
When I started tertiary education, I morphed into an owl as well.
Due to the huge amount of assignments and projects, I must not (not cannot) fall asleep.
Sometimes I'd sleep at 3am, sometimes 4am, sometimes not even a wink for 3 nights.
It got so bad that I think my bodyclock could be compared to those of the cabin crew.
However, things started to get better when I got to work.
This might be because I had to get up at 6+ am everyday and I just couldn't last til 12mn.


What about sleep am I talking about here?
Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or absent consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles.
It is distinguished from quiet wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli, but it is more easily reversible than hibernation or coma.
Sleep is a heightened anabolic state, accentuating the growth and rejuvenation of the immune, nervous, skeletal and muscular systems.
And we humans, need at least 6 hours of sleep to have a clear state of mind and the correct thoughts which will run through the day.
For me, 7 hours will just be enough, but I'd welcome 8, 9, 10 hours as well.
However, too much of something is always not very good.
So the better options are still 6 - 8 hours of solid sleep.


Sleep is divided into two broad types: rapid eye movement (REM) and non-rapid eye movement (NREM or non-REM) sleep.
The above image shows the different stages of your sleep and how it will affect you with dreams.

Sleep debt is the effect of not getting enough rest and sleep; a large debt causes mental, emotional and physical fatigue.
Being deprived of sleep can also cause you to have bad skin.
Let's do a test for a week:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water during the day (Always remind yourself to keep drinking. I've seen awesome results of a pair of pouty lips and skin that goes boing boing)
- Turn in 8 hours before your estimated waking time (Try to force yourself to sleep at around 11pm cos that is the time your body will start its repairs)
See if there is an improvement to your skin.

Til then, I shall go tuck myself snugly under the covers.
Goodnight world =)

No comments:

Post a Comment